You probably already brush your teeth in the morning and at night without even thinking about it, but are you doing it the right way? If you’re looking for teeth whitening procedures that are associated with lasting results, the best place to start is to brush and care for your teeth properly. At Georgian Shores Dental Centre, we recommend:
• Flossing daily—Flossing is the foundation for healthy gums and will help you get into areas that your toothbrush isn’t capable of reaching. Make sure that you slide the floss between your teeth and then wrap it into a “C” shape at the base, moving the floss up and down two or three times.
• Brushing twice daily—In order to achieve teeth whitening benefits, make sure that you brush your teeth twice a day. To do this, use a soft-bristled brush and start at the gum line, pointing the bristles 45 degrees towards the gums. Wiggle your brush lightly side to side, and then scoop your brush away from the gum line to remove debris from your teeth. Repeat this several times for each tooth, making sure you spend between two and three minutes brushing your whole mouth.
• Eating a well-balanced diet—Try to avoid snacking a ton between meals, and avoid sugary, sticky foods as much as possible. You may also want to rinse your mouth with a fluoride or antiseptic rinse every time you eat.
• Avoid foods that stain—Limiting your intake of foods such as coffee, tea and red wine will help prevent stains from affecting your teeth. Even some healthy foods like blueberries or beets will stain your teeth.
• Don’t smoke—Not only is smoking bad for your health, but it also stains your teeth, making them appear dark and discoloured.
If you eat well, floss every day, and brush your teeth twice daily, but want to see better teeth whitening results, get in touch with us. We can introduce you to our solutions that have the potential to whiten and brighten your teeth.