It happens at every appointment – your dentist asks if you are flossing and brushing regularly. Brushing: yes. Flossing: (Pause) Sometimes? While your dentist can’t stand over your shoulder and watch you every morning as your clean your teeth, there are a few reasons why they emphasize flossing as part of your normal health care routine. At Georgian Shores Dental Centre, we believe flossing is the pathway to great oral health.
Our experienced dentists provided ten reasons you should start a flossing regimen:
- Flossing can do up to 40% of the necessary work every time you clean your teeth.
- Flossing helps to prevent cavities because it fights plaque buildup on your teeth.
- Floss is the only thing that can get between your teeth to remove bacteria.
- Your dentist can tell when you haven’t been flossing regularly.
- You are more susceptible to gum disease when you avoid flossing.
- You can preserve the look and feel of your teeth as you get older by flossing regularly.
- Flossing can help you combat bad breath.
- Flossing removes hidden food particles that can get stuck in your teeth.
- Your teeth will feel smoother and cleaner each time you floss.
- Your dentist will have to do less work to remove plaque at your next dental visit if you are a frequent flosser.
At Georgian Shores Dental Centre, we can recommend the type of floss that will provide the best results during your oral health regimen, but the most important part is to begin working in new flossing habits each day.