Nonsurgical gum therapy is designed to reverse the effects of periodontal disease.
Gum disease, otherwise known as periodontal disease, occurs when the tissues surrounding the teeth in the mouth become infected. Often, this disease develops when plaque forms on the teeth and the resulting bacteria create toxins that are harmful to the gums. If you are currently suffering from gum disease, you may benefit from receiving nonsurgical gum therapy.
At Georgian Shores Dental Centre, we provide nonsurgical gum therapy services at our offices in Midland and Collingwood, Ontario. One of the most common gum therapy services that we provide is known as scaling and root planing. When we perform this procedure, we remove tartar and plaque from your teeth and your gums and create a smooth area for your gums to reattach themselves to your teeth.
Although scaling and root planning is considered a routine dental procedure, it can be intimidating for some patients. There are several things we can do to help reduce the anxiety some people have when it comes to getting their teeth cleaned.
- Spread your treatment over several short visits instead of scaling and root planing the entire mouth in one visit.
- Apply a topical anaesthetic gel to slightly numb tender gums.
- Anaesthetize a portion of your mouth so that you don’t feel anything on your gums or teeth.
- Prescribe an antibiotic prior to your scaling and root planing appointment to help severely inflamed and infected tissues calm down before treatment is initiated.
- Complete your scaling and root planing appointment with the administration of laughing gas to help ease your anxiety (Midland location only).
We may use one or more of the above options to help make your scaling and root planing appointments as comfortable as possible
If you want to find out more about nonsurgical gum therapy and if you are a good candidate for this procedure, please reach out to us at Georgian Shores Dental Centre today. We are more than happy to answer your questions and discuss your dental options with you.